never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Who will help me bake this bread?


I just spent the last 20 minutes reading through the debate about the construction of the league (from last year) and the more I think about it the more I realize that no one was really happy with this keeper system in the first place. A bunch of us wanted the keepers not tied to the rounds that they were in. A bunch of people wanted an auction. And apparently Andy made some joke about how no one would want to keep Ryan Howard in the first three rounds this year (check the record).

My point is this: our current system was carefully drawn up so that all of the states would join. We essentially came to a conclusion and then moved on to other important points like should we let Saud join (seems like we made the right choice on that), what stats should we use (not clear how that one went) and what the draft date should be (always the most important issue, in my opinion). Nothing was fine tuned but we developed something that would work.

What makes me so jumpy about Carter's resolution is that it takes an improvised principle from an already shaky solution and runs with it. Maybe this is what the law is all about but I aim to have higher standards than the US justice system. I am fine with gaming the system when it's a system that we all feel strongly about but right now we're still in the infantile stages of the operation. If this nation (I mean league) is going to last (and I mean really last) then we must tread carefully lest we upset the very foundation upon which this castle was built.

The more that I think about it the more that I actually like some of the crazy trade talk that Carter and Carderelli have been batting around; I think the new rules could be used to a lot of really interesting and enjoyable ends. Still, I don't think now is the time.

I think we can continue the discussion for intellectual purposes (and lord knows that Andy is going to pour himself into this once he gets home. I wish I could be there to see his face when he checks the blog expecting three posts about the Bears) but for the time being I'm going to say that we keep things where they are at and work on them more once the season begins.

As was suggested earlier:

(1) Keeper slots are non-transferable. They cannot be traded from one owner to another. As a result, a maximum of 8 players can be kept.
(2) Before the draft, baseball players can only be traded for other baseball players and draft picks can only be traded for other draft picks.
(3) Once the keepers are announced and locked into place, GMs may begin trading for players or for draft positions.
(4) All remaining players not designated as keepers will be thrown back into the available pool (including Dice-K) and are subject to regular rules.
(5) Once the draft is completed, all players are eligible to be traded how ever the GM should see fit.


Now screw you guys, I'm going home.

-Your Comishioner

2 comments:

mikecard said...

i'm on board. unless carter is winning then i'm on board with him. he is the pro-corporate, delaware-style state in this league. i am dow chemicals or haliburton. recently ben referred to me as satan on this board. i'm not going to fight it anymore.

carter said...

Comrade Chandler's well thought out political analysis has convinced me to sit down on the back benches, at least for now. I will not be the Aaron Burr of this league.

On the other hand, unless we are going to sit down and hammer out a new keeper system, we can only improve it through incremental, common law style changes like I attempted today. If other, more popular changes are proposed, we should not hesitate to adopt them.

Finally, I don't think I'm Delaware... I'm more like California. I want to encourage big business so I can regulate and tax the hell out of it. That means you, MCard.