never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut

Thursday, February 08, 2007

as usual, i am right

First, this was all my idea. No need to drag Andy's name through the mud, though I suspect he would like my idea. This is all hypothetical.

My responses to your points:

(1) "you are allowed to keep two first rounders (or any number from a single round) if you were shrewd"

I am being shrewd here. What is the distinction in "shrewdness?" This also encourages trading.

(2) "That just seems wrong and against the spirit of keepers. You would then essentially be getting something for nothing."

This is your stronger point. But, again, it is not really different from trading for a second keeper. That is, when MCard traded for Ortiz, he didn't just get Ortiz but the bonus of being able to keep both Ortiz and Crawford. Here, I get the bonus of keeping Wright plus whatever I get for my draft pick. Most importantly, the bonus is the same in both transactions.

To Omar, your point about the rule re: two keepers being settled seems like some revisionist history. Plus, we can settle the rule now prior to any trade anyway. My question was purely hypothetical; there is no deal in the works.

(3) "We ARE going to need to develop a system for what happens next season if you want to keep "old keepers" and "new keepers.""

This will make things way too complex. My way is simpler, and I contend, more fun. Think of the trading possibilities...

(4) To Pete, "instead of thinking of david wright and your first-round pick as separate entities, think of them as the same thing. for all intents, david wright *is* your first round pick."

This is wrong, and would create serious problems. For example, under your reasoning, if I trade Wright, it appears that I also trade my first round pick. That is clearly not what everyone understands the rule to be. But, if trading Wright doesn't lead to trading the pick, why does trading the pick lead to losing Wright?

1 comment:

ptb said...

in re: re: (4): no, you can trade david wright and keep your first-round pick. up until you announce the keepers.