never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Passing 3,500 words for the day

Carter, how about this?

David Wright was drafted in the first round. It happened to be by you. We all agreed that at the beginning of next (meaning this) season, if any person happened to still retain the rights to David Wright then they would have to slot him in as their #1 pick unless they already has a #1 pick that they were keeping. This was a compromise and perhaps not the best solution but it is the way we figured it out. Now, I suppose that you agree that if someone else ended up with David Wright and wanted to keep him then they would be forced to slot him in as their first pick, right? So why should you be any different just because you were the one who initially drafted him? All of your rights to David Wright for this coming season are predicated on him being your first pick. If you decide to trade away that first pick for something else, that's fine, but you lose your hold on Mr. Wright.

That's at least how I see this. You gain the right to keepers as virtue of two things: (a) that he was on your team when the season ended and (b) you are going to sacrifice your ability to pick in a certain round for him. He is not signed to you personally and able to negotiate the terms of his contract.

Once all of the keepers are declared, they are locked in. Then, the position and player are tied as one and you are free to make trades as you see fit.

I guess that doesn't make you happy but doesn't that make sense?

3 comments:

carter said...

First, I don't have a trade worked out for Wright and I continue to have a man crush on him. I am not fickle.

Second, no Ben, it does not make sense to me.

You said: "Now, I suppose that you agree that if someone else ended up with David Wright and wanted to keep him then they would be forced to slot him in as their first pick, right? So why should you be any different just because you were the one who initially drafted him?"

I do not want to be treated differently.

As you stated in your post, "if any person happened to [own] David Wright then they would have to slot him in as their #1 pick unless they already has a #1 pick that they were keeping." Right, i.e. if you have Wright and Santana, you keep Wright at round 1 and Santana at round 2.

So, if I have two players but only one pick in the round that they were drafted in, I get to keep both. BUT, says you, if I have one player and zero picks in the round that he was drafted in, I do not keep to keep him.

I don't understand why you think that is consistent. And if I agree that it's not consistent, I don't understand why you oppose my proposal.

carter said...

that last "I" should be "you"

carter said...

sorry, the second to last "i" should be "you"

why can't we edit comments?