never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut

Thursday, February 08, 2007

madonna_ray_of_light.mp3



Carter may object that value is not derived from the player; that draft picks are independent of them. If this is true, then it is easily seen that the market price for Wright, set at last year's draft (and not in the future based on who else one might acquire) is one first-round pick. Since Carter has no other player currently on his roster valued at that price, if he wishes to keep Wright, he must spend his first-round pick to keep Wright at his value. If he spends his pick to pay the price of Wright's market value, he has no first-round pick to trade. If he trades his first round pick, then he doesn't have the value to pay Wright's price.
That is pretty much what is swaying me away from Carter's theories. I'm a nihilist no more.

4 comments:

carter said...

Conceding the point for the moment, this line of reasoning suggests that Cardarelli (and anyone with multiple players in a single round) should have to acquire extra picks to keep all the players in that round. Just as I cannot pay market value for Wright, so too can MCard not pay market for both Crawford and Ortiz.

All I'm asking for is equal treatment in like situations.

carter said...

also, i like that Czap somehoe derived my corporatist political views from my fantasy baseball postings. well done.

let's bring labor and capital under my big tent.

Bench said...

Carter, I can get behind that logic. Still, I think we need to hold off on an incremental change such as this and think up a new system in the future.

Moacir said...

i'm pissed that it seems like my picture of constantine seeing the cross in the sky seems to be gone.