never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

So much hate

Since the 5x5 compromise was my idea, let me be clear on what I meant. That the 5x5 was to be used if no other solution could be agreed upon. It was only thought up when it looked like we might deadlock on both 6x6 votes. If those are decided peacefully, I see no reason to use the 5x5 unless that's what people would rather do. We could have a run off election: the winner of hitting and pitching on one ballot and the 5x5 on the other.

Omar's response: that seems like the only way this could work. And i dont understand how voting yes doesn't mean that they would like to use 5x5. If you had voted no on the compromise doesn't that mean that you don't want to do the 5x5? Why would you vote yes on the compromise if you don't want to compromise?

I'm just trying to get this done so we can set up a league and think about drafting. Omar, I think you need to listen to other people once and a while and stop trying to just get what you want through committee. Typical republican.

Omar's other response: Screw you guys. I didn't try and push anything until someone else agreed with me that a 7 out of 10 majority was unnecessary. There is only inaction on the part of most people so ofcourse any action that does not coincide with your opinion is called not listening: but only to you. I did listen to other people and it was only after we had 6 people did anyone decide to mention that the issue was more fucked that i had realized. stop being reactionary bitches and actually say something before i do. and thats bitches in a general sense, not only you ben.

7 comments:

ptb said...

omar, if it makes you feel better, i think you're a rovian/delay-style thug too. anyway, the real problem is that we had an election before figuring out what the options really were. also, i think ben makes a pretty cut-and-dry case for WHY saying yes to 5x5 as a fallback isn't the same thing as just choosing 5x5 as the preferred thing. that said, i think we aren't hung on anything right? did andy ever vote for 6x6 choices? i can't remember.

Omar said...

that has been my point all along. rovian/delay aside, we never decided what we were actually doing. you guys have been avoiding making any decisions because there is always some better way to do things. i think thats naive and for the most part a waste of time. lets just chose something and get it done with. i dont like any of the options so im not sure how i am trying to push my agenda. i wanted the 5x5 because it seemed like the most expeditious and clean of the avaliable options.

so as i predicted at the pub, we are back to where we started. this is going to have to end sometime and i just dont see the benefit to this sisyphusian struggle.

and pete, my point is that its not necessarily a fallback. you are changing the rules of engagement by superimposing your defitional agenda on the argument. thats very O'Reillian of you. this name calling is fun isnt it?

ptb said...

i'll "fall back" on what i said at the pub, which is that you are crazy. seriously, read the sentences you just strung together and explain to me how they make sense. we're not even close to back to zero, we're just not at the end. so relax, obviously we're still going to have something similar to the proposals on the table. i still don't understand what was wrong with the 6x6 votes -- are we just waiting for andy? am i the designated vote-counter or something? i'd like to pretend that being busy at work prevents from paying too much attention to this business today (it does, i should probably get back to work now)

Omar said...

they aren't supposed to make sense. they are my imitation of your random name calling. whatever. im not checking this for atleast a day now.

CZA said...

Is it my background in history, rooted in close readings of the sources and learning in discussion based classes where we listen to what people say? Do Ben and I have a cosmic mindlink because we were in the same class? Could there possibly be situations where there ARE rules to a street fight?

I thought it was made very clear that 5x5 was a run-off. The logic was not:
1. Choose 6x6 or choose 5x5.

The logic was:
1. Choose your preferred 6x6 pitching and batting system.
*IF* we reach a deadlock on 6x6
*THEN* How do you feel about the 5x5 compromise?
Ben was merely saving the step of holding a separate vote on the 5x5 compromise in the event 6x6 failed. This was obvious to most of the people who were there, and the distinction was visible in the voting instructions. In addition to the quote I already presented, why didn't the vote post say: Vote for one of the 6x6 systems *OR* vote for the 5x5 compromise. Afterall, most people did choose a 6x6 system and did not then abstain from voting for 5x5 as one would have expected them to do if it was a choice between 6x6 or 5x5. It's a basic exercise in reading. To quote a wise New Yorker, "Why you beastin' on me?"

Perhaps it was too much to ask people to juggle a vote on a present reality with a vote on a conditional outcome. And yes, Omar, I don't want an innings cap, but I also went back through the posts and counted the votes and find others who feel the same way. And if your logic is correct, which it isn't, I would have changed my pitching vote to make sure 6x6 won. I think you're the only person who introduced the confusion because you posted as though everything was a done deal. And I post as soon as I see something new...it isn't to stall or devise some "better" way. I want call you crazy, but I think you do need to listen. I remember asking Ben at the Pub if it was a 6x6 vs. 5x5 vote, because I was skeptical of the compromise when we had done so much arguing over 6x6 and his answer was that is was in case of deadlock.

CZA said...

Sadly, in my last post, I cannot claim birthday drinking as a reason for the errors in tense, the (Freudian?) slip of "want" for "won't" and the slurred "is was in case of." Come out and party tonight. It's a facebook event (I can't think of my friend's address). You've been invited.

Saud said...

According to how I understood it the 5X5 compromise would only be valid if and only if there was a deadlock on the 6X6 combo. Voting NO on 5X5 meant that if 6X6 was deadlocked, it was back to the drawing board. Clearly we had a majority on 6X6, so its been decided? That is really what we agreed upon, and it seems everyone got the message load and clear, and the only one who was confirmed sober...well, its all relative I guess. Should we have a vote on who understood instructions?