never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

taking the next step

ok, so we nailed down that we're not doing keepers. let's now turn our considerable attentions to the issues of A) how the auction system will inform the new keepers. B) stats. once we've finally decided this shit, we can just sit down and actually, you know, like, do fantasy baseball.

in re the new keeper regime, i'm going to throw on the table what i feel like are the obvious, sort of in the air plans. please comment and let me know if you see an omission.

1) contracts system of some kind.
2) a straight keep, i.e., just tag X dudes and get to keep them no questions asked.
3) a discount system. you guys know my opinion of this.

i'm partial to a contracts system; it's pretty easy to keep track of, facilitates the trading of auction dollars plus future stars with a contract in exchange for right-now help (one of my favorite kinds of trades).

i think a straight keep would work, although it would kind of undermine the whole point of an auction; unless it somehow expired, everbody could just salt away X dudes permanently. i like the contracts system we have in my NYC league.

Four one-year deals (meaning someone you bid on in 2008 is locked in for 2009)
Two two-year deals. (same as above 'cept through 2010)

Contract value = purchase price of player + 10%. In the case of 2 yr dudes, it's last year's salary + 10%.

Obviously, every year you get the same # of contracts, which means that the two-years from last year will be held over, and you'll truly have 8 contracts each year.

Now, the fine print: You have to name two contracts RIGHT AWAY after the auction. this is a fun wrinkle -- it results in hedged bets like my John Danks contract from last year, fully intending to not use him all year but hoping he'd be league average by 2008. The rest are announced before the next year's auction.

Minimum contract is $5 -- anybody priced below that escalates to $5. Otherwise a $1 pickup of someone like russell martin is just an insaaaaane advantage.

Contracts are tradeable, there's no limit on how many you can acquire, other than roster size (25 or so, presumably). also it helps to cap the amount of auction cash someone can deal in one season -- $25 is our cap, just so no one totally fucks themselves for the next season.

No contracting of players not auctioned. E.g., no fausto carmona -- if you were lucky enough to snag them off the waiver wire, you got your reward already.

The total sal cap btw is $260, standard issue. I welcome response.

3 comments:

CZA said...

I'd rather talk about contracts at midseason and just deal with stats now and then start planning my team. But if people want to work this out too, then let's do it.

I'd like straight keep, since we'd have valued the players properly at auction and everyone would have had a shot at the players they most wanted. Put a two year limit on it and keep the numbers small if people are worried about competitive balance. We could reduce the draft dollars for everyone next year to prevent the problem of inflating the value of tier two players.

If we do have contracts, Some preferences:
1. I don't want cola. Why mark up a player? I don't see what we gain from that. The point of a contract for me is to freeze value. Our players are virtual and can't make demands.

2. I don't want a minimum contract. See earlier posts on this issue. If I get a guy for a buck, I ought to be able to keep him for a buck. Early bird, the reward for undertaking (see Sombart), etc. I could have had Lowell for $1. If no one else wanted to bid on him, thought he was worthless, why should I now have to pay $5? This penalizes me. I think we should everything possible to keep the free agent-pickup happy league this is. I love seeing 70 transactions after half the teams.

Since I've never played with contracts, how do they work?
3. Does a contract mean we can't dump a guy? Say I get Markakis at $8. Halfway through the season he gets hurt or is just sucking. I drop him. I sign Aaron Rowand for $1. Do I now have $7 banked? Can I drop Markakis? Do I have to ink Rowand at $8? Ditto for two year deals. If at season's end, that two year deal is looking stupid. Can I just drop the guy, or do I "owe" that money for the following season (in which case, can I not even pick up a replacement player at that price?)

4. If we're visualizing trading auction cash, etc. How long is it banked for? if I somehow save $10 on draft day. Does it roll over to next season? if I trade a contract and get cash in the deal, does that roll over to next season? What about the season after that? If so, since my players are supposed to appreciate at 10%, why shouldn't my savings appreciate also?

That's all I can think of right now.

CZA said...

Okay, I see you somewhat addressed point three: no contracting free agents. I really don't want to live in such a world. We ought to be able to contract them.

Omar said...

i am fine with pete's system in its entirety. i advocated it last year so im sticking with that.

i want to talk about stats too but lets do one thing at a time.

also i fear this will get stagnant in the blog format. email seemed to have forced comments, this might need to shift to emails (sadly).