never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut

Monday, March 12, 2007

Another Example - Pete's League

I'll try to comment on the two systems I've described in the past few posts in a more meta post later today, but I just wanted this second example out there. The point here is to have a candidate system--or at least a framework for a candidate system (maybe better described as guiding principles more refined) before the draft. It has become increasingly important to me in terms of everything I do starting with the keeper list this year to know, generally, what will happen next year. I mean, this isn't even whom I should keep, but whom I should even bother drafting.

Pete gave me the rundown of his league on Friday—his NYC league that has the points equation. They have, from my understanding, a salary cap and auction players willy-nilly. I didn't ask about cost-of-living adjustments to contracts, but I imagine there may be some. I was more interested in how his league handled stuff during the season.

He said that, first, trades don't take into account dollar value; you just have to square up the money before the next auction (from what I gathered). Second, there is no free agent acquisition budget. If you pick up a player off waivers, you get him for free. The caveat, however, is that you can't keep him into the next year without submitting him to the draft. A player, in other words, can only be kept if he already has a contract, which means that if a team waives a player and another team picks him up, he can be kept into the new season. Someone who appeared out of the blue, on the other hand, cannot.

1 comment:

ptb said...

Einar Diaz is in hibernation right now, but I want to add something to moacir's post. the NYC league rules. even though it lacks the chatter and camraderie of this league and others and has kind of a cold, business-y feeling, having a solid constitution and well-thought out rules is pretty dope. and the contracts thing is a great compromise for a keeper system. you get to reap the benefits of identifying and grabbing talent, but you can't sit on a player forever without exposing him to market correction eventually. plus, the added wrinkle of contracts means you can panic and screw yourself, which is fun. just saying. i can supply more data about the bylaws and stuff if/when we get serious about an auction.